Gastric Bypass Surgery in Cancun Mexico
Table of Contents
If you’re someone who’s struggled with obesity and failed to lose weight through traditional methods, gastric bypass surgery could be the answer to your problems. And if you’re looking to have the procedure done in a fun and affordable destination, Cancun, Mexico, is an excellent choice.
In this blog post, we’ll explore what gastric bypass surgery entails, why Cancun is a great place to have it done, and what you can expect before, during, and after the surgery.
What is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Gastric bypass surgery is a type of weight-loss surgery that reduces the size of your stomach and changes the way your digestive system works. During the procedure, the surgeon creates a small pouch at the top of your stomach and connects it directly to your small intestine, bypassing the rest of your stomach and part of your intestine.
This reduces the amount of food you can eat and the number of calories your body absorbs, leading to significant weight loss.
Why Choose Cancun Mexico for Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Cancun, Mexico, is a beautiful tourist destination known for its white sandy beaches, turquoise waters, and warm climate. But beyond its natural beauty, Cancun has become a popular destination for medical tourism, including gastric bypass surgery. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Affordability: The cost of medical procedures in Cancun is significantly lower than in the United States and other developed countries. For example, the cost of gastric bypass surgery in Cancun is around $7,000 to $10,000, while the same procedure can cost upwards of $20,000 in the US.
- High-Quality Healthcare: Despite the lower cost, the quality of healthcare in Cancun is excellent. Many hospitals and clinics in Cancun are accredited by international organizations like the Joint Commission International (JCI), which means they meet the highest standards of quality and safety.
- Experienced Surgeons: Many of the surgeons who perform gastric bypass surgery in Cancun have received their training in the US and other developed countries. They are highly skilled and experienced, and many of them speak English fluently, making communication easier for international patients.
- Relaxing Recovery: After the surgery, you’ll need to rest and recover for several days. What better place to do that than in Cancun? You can relax in a comfortable hotel room, soak up the sun on the beach, or explore the local culture and cuisine.
Preparing for Gastric Bypass Surgery in Cancun Mexico
Before you travel to Cancun for gastric bypass surgery, there are several things you need to do to prepare:
- Choose a Surgeon: Do your research and choose a reputable surgeon with experience performing gastric bypass surgery. Look for reviews and testimonials from previous patients, and make sure the surgeon is board-certified.
- Get Medical Clearance: Before the surgery, you’ll need to get medical clearance from your primary care physician. They’ll need to evaluate your overall health and make sure you’re a good candidate for the surgery.
- Make Travel Arrangements: Book your flights and hotel accommodations in advance. Make sure you have all the necessary travel documents, such as a passport and travel insurance.
- Arrange for Aftercare: After the surgery, you’ll need to stay in Cancun for a few days to recover. Make sure you have someone to take care of you during this time, and arrange for any necessary follow-up appointments with your surgeon.
The Gastric Bypass Surgery Procedure
On the day of the surgery, you’ll be given anesthesia to put you to sleep. The surgeon will then make several small incisions in your abdomen and insert a laparoscope, which is a thin, flexible tube with a camera attached. The surgeon will use the laparoscope to guide the surgical instruments as they create the small pouch at the top of your stomach and connect it directly to your small intestine.
The entire surgery usually takes two to three hours, and you’ll spend several hours in the recovery room before being transferred to a hospital room for the night. You’ll need to stay in the hospital for one to two days before being discharged.
After the Surgery
After the surgery, you’ll need to follow a strict diet and exercise plan to achieve the best results. Your surgeon will provide you with detailed instructions on what you can and can’t eat, as well as how much you should exercise.
In the first few weeks after the surgery, you’ll need to stick to a liquid diet, gradually progressing to soft foods and then solid foods. You’ll need to avoid high-calorie and high-fat foods, as well as sugary drinks and alcohol. You’ll also need to take vitamin and mineral supplements to make up for the nutrients your body may not be absorbing as well.
You’ll also need to commit to an exercise plan, gradually building up to 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week. This will help you lose weight and maintain your weight loss in the long term.
In Conclusion, Gastric bypass surgery can be a life-changing procedure for those struggling with obesity. And having it done in Cancun, Mexico, can be an affordable and enjoyable experience. With the right preparation and commitment to post-surgery lifestyle changes, gastric bypass surgery can help you achieve your weight loss goals and improve your overall health and quality of life.